The Commonwealth Games kicked off last night and the kiwis have another fan in our new daughter, Poppy. We proudly welcomed Poppy Jane Reid Ross into the world on the 25th March. We’re happy to have her arrive in the world safely and Max is a very proud big brother! The miracle of having a healthy child into the world is not lost on us and we’re grateful to have two beautiful kids.
So with the Commonwealth Games action starting today Poppy will be cheering from the milk bar couch. It’s an exciting time for the kiwis with The Games essentially being a home games and we’ve got a real opportunity to make it a successful campaign. Having represented NZ at two Commonwealth Games I know how much fun these occasions are. Like the Olympics, the CWG only come round every 4 years. They’re a unique opportunity to compete for your country in a big NZ Team. It’s a chance to for our athletes to express their gifts on a great sporting stage with the nation behind them.
What I’m looking forward to on the Gold Coast?
- No surprises but I can’t wait to see my friends in the Athletics Team rip up the main stadium. We have a real mix of experience within our team which is exciting for the both now and the future.
- How far Tom Walsh will throw? Off the back of his 22.67m (6th= all time performance) Tom heads into his second Com Games as a huge favourite. Can he go 23m?
- Regardless of her final result you have to acknowledge the tremendous achievement of Val Adams in getting back into competition following the birth of her daughter. Baby Kimoana is just 6 months old. Seeing my friend return to competition for her 5th Commonwealth Games as a Mum is remarkable. I wouldn’t count her out for the top of the podium but the Jamaiacan competitor will present a fierce challenge to her.
- With the introduction of the Womens 7s competition into the programme it will be great to see our girls battle it out. Having had a difficult build up with a mumps scare to one of their key play makers it will be interesting to see how the girls rise to the challenge.
- Can the Silver Ferns turn the tables on recent form? An Australia versus New Zealand final for many years seemed enviable. However that may not be the case this year and fingers crossed the Ferns can get back to their best.
- My roomie from the last Commonwealth Games, Julia Ratcliffe, has real potential to go one better in the women’s hammer throw. Here’s hoping she has a great performance in her second games.
Get behind Team NZ
The whole New Zealand deserve our support. They have #earntthefern and all that comes with representing your country. It is a privilege to represent your country and something I’m incredibly proud of that I achieved. My two Commonwealth Games experiences provided me with great memories, incredible friendships and a chance to be part of the wider New Zealand Team. It is a unique experience and I can’t wait to watch the entire New Zealand Team do their thing….neither can Poppy;)